For Ginger – Soy Reduction Sauce
- 1/4 cup Soy Sauce
- 2 ½ T. whole ginger chopped
- 2 ½ T. garlic chopped
- 2 t. sugar
- 2 T. rice vinegar
- 2 – 3 Lrg. Tuna Filets (cut into desirable sections for appropriate course serving size)
- 3 – 4 oz. watercress (for décor)
- 3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon wasabi powder
- 1/4 cup butter
Directions for Ginger – Soy Reduction
- Combine all ingredients except for in a sauce pan. Simmer for 25 – 30 mins.
- Puree in Food Processor. Bottle and chill. Serve at room temp.
Directions for Potatoes
- Place potatoes in large pot of cold salted water. Boil until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain. Return to pot; mash.
- Combine 3/4 cup milk and 1 tablespoon wasabi powder in small bowl. Stir to dissolve powder. Add milk mixture and butter to potatoes. Using electric mixer, beat potatoes until fluffy and smooth. Season potatoes to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 2 hours ahead. Cover and keep at room temperature. Re-warm mashed potatoes over low heat, stirring frequently.).
Directions for Tuna and Plating
- Pan sear Tuna Filets w/ a couple of T.’s of olive oil in a non-stick pan on High for a quick sear, about 1-2 minutes per side, leaving them mostly bright red on the inside (rare to medium rare).
- In a smear-ish fashion with back of spoon lay down a circle of the wasabi mash. Make sure to leave enough room in the middle of the circle to fit your tuna filet.
- Drop tuna filet in circle of potatoes and color in the middle of your potato-embankment-circle with the Ginger – Soy Reduction. Top with a few sprigs of watercress. AMEN!